Thursday, July 24, 2008

Chicken Enchiladas

1 Large Can of Mild Green Enchilada Sauce
4-5 Chicken Breasts
1 Medium Onion, Diced
2-3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
Salt & Pepper to Taste

Place the above ingredients in a large pot and bring to a simmer on medium low heat. Simmer for 2-3 hours or until chicken pulls apart very easily. Remove chicken from sauce and set aside to cool. Remove sauce from heat and stir in:

1 Can Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Pint Sour Cream

Pull apart cooled chicken, removing any fat or gristle, add chicken to sauce.
Heat 1 package of small flour tortillas in microwave for about 20-30 seconds. Place 1 tortilla on a plate a sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Spread a layer of the chicken mixture over the cheese, and roll tortilla. Place in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Continue rolling enchiladas and placing tightly together in baking dish. Bake enchiladas "naked" at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes, or until tortillas are browned slightly. Remove from oven and cover with red enchilada sauce and more cheddar cheese. Place back in the oven and back until sauce and cheese is bubbly in the center. Remove from oven and let sit for at least 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Ok...a couple of things...
ONE - I was craving this and made last minute, instead of using raw chicken breasts I used the chicken cuts from the deli isle. I just got the plain oven roasted. I used 4 - 6oz packs, just shredded with my hand and put in sauce and stuff for about 30 minutes. Added soup and sour cream. This way you don't have to take chicken apart after it is done cooking for 3 hours (if you are like me that is too time consuming!)

TWO - This is enough to feed a small army and I don't have one of those to feed, just Chad and I, Kyan ate a cheese roll-up, so this recipe was too much for us and I started to freak out and called Rae Lynn in a panic! She turned my bad news into good - you can totally freeze this! So actually, I got about 4-6 servings for the two of us! I just split the leftover meat mix (ewwww...that kinda sounds gross, but I don't know a better way to describe it) into 3 freezer bags and there is 3 more nights of dinner in the next couple of weeks!

Rae Lynn said...

PS - If you use Macayo's red sauce they are pretty spicy!

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Elie Lash